The Maldives: Planning a week in paradise

Having spent months Insta stalking everyone (and I mean, everyone) in the Maldives, I was expecting big things from the islands. Everything looked perfect- the sea, the sand, the sunsets- but, as you would, I presumed it was mostly down to a few filters. How wrong I was. My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to visit Velassaru Maldives back in March, and it was so amazing that I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. Seriously.

I’ll go into more detail in a moment, but picture this: you’re greeted at the airport by the friendliest hotel representative you’ll probably ever meet, before being whisked away on a speedboat where you’re served dragonfruit smoothies and wet towels. Fifteen minutes later you arrive at a beach so white you’ll need sunnies, with all the hotel staff waving you in. Hopefully that’s set the tone for you. Now for all the details:

How to get there

We took a 7-hour flight from London to Doha with Qatar Airways. From there, we took a connecting flight of 4 hours and 30 minutes to Male. You can fly direct from London to Male with British Airways, but this saved us around £200 with one stopover. We always make sure stopovers are no longer than 2 hours, otherwise the journey ends up being a lot longer than necessary.

Where to stay

Velassaru Maldives. We booked via Destination2, and Velassaru Maldives was actually third from the bottom of all hotels (according to ratings). The cost jump between Velassaru and the ones above was so big, we didn’t think it would be worth it. And we were right. We stayed in a beach bungalow (again, the cheapest option), but it was anything but basic. It comes with its own terrace and outdoor bathroom (shower only), quite possibly the comfiest bed of all time and even a widescreen TV. The hotel also offers overwater villas, but these are around £200 more per night than the bungalow option.

Read how I afforded my trip to the Maldives here

The food

Where do I start. This was without doubt the best part of the resort. Every single meal was absolutely breathtaking. And when I say breathtaking, I mean I was counting down the seconds until I could eat again. The breakfast buffet featured everything from chocolate pancakes and omelettes (cooked in front of you), to fresh fruit and endless pastries. My fave? The coconut milk. Five glasses down and it was only my boyfriend that stopped me from having any more. Sigh. We booked the bed and breakfast option, and since we ate so much in the mornings, we rarely needed food again until dinner. Sure enough, this was just as impressive. There are 5 restaurants to choose from, and we had planned on trying each, but after one night at the buffet option (Vela), there was no reason to go elsewhere. At $60 per head, it’s not cheap, but it is so worth it. We went for 10 nights in a row, and not once was the menu the same. If ever there were a reason to return to a resort, it’s this.

What to do

1. Snorkel

From mini sharks (there’s probably a technical name for that, but you know what I mean), to the brightest fishes, I was honestly amazed at the array of sealife so close to the shore. You can hire snorkels through the hotel for free.

2. Workout

Being the fitness fanatic I am, we went to the gym everyday (I know), and even that’s impressive. We’re talking every cardio machine you can think of and free weights up to your eyeballs.

3. Book an excursion

The hotel hosts sunset cruises, an outdoor cinema night, a beach BBQ and a weekly white party. Which, by the way, includes approximately 594 white deserts. Delicious, of course.

4. Relax

I can safely say I have never been as relaxed as I was during my stay at the Maldives. When we weren’t watching the sunrise/sunset/sleeping/reading, I was simply taking in the surroundings. It truly is a pinch me place.

I’m the type of person that wouldn’t think twice about going back to the same place when there’s so much of the world to see, but so far, this is one I’d definitely return to.

Bridie x

P.S. I’ll be writing a lot more travel pieces from now, so if there’s anything you want to know, comment below!

18 Comments

1. Monica Mcdermott
    09/09/2017 / 12:18 pm

Hi It looks absolutely amazing
    I am inspired and excited
    Such beautiful pictures and great information
    I would like to know the best way to do this as a single traveler found your article on the Daily Mail thank you so much
    Monica

• 09/09/2017 / 6:54 pm

Hey Monica! Thanks so much. I’ll be doing a money saving post soon so that should help! xx

2. 09/09/2017 / 4:10 pm

Hey I found your blog through an article about how you afford travelling. It’s really inspirational! Fabulous blog!

• 09/09/2017 / 6:54 pm

Hey Hannah, thanks so much! Let me know if there’s any specific posts you’d like to see xx

3. Victoria
    09/09/2017 / 10:49 pm

I enjoy reading your travel posts. Thanks for suggestions and tips! It’s nice to see photos coinciding with your journaling.
    I would very much like to see an article on how you enter into travel writing for income.

Thank you.

• 10/09/2017 / 6:51 am

Hey Victoria. Thank you so much!! Lovely to hear that people are enjoying what I love doing x

4. Barbara Lutterloch
    09/09/2017 / 11:36 pm

Have you ever been to Sri Lanka? Should love your advice and money saving tips.

• 10/09/2017 / 6:52 am

Hey Barbara. Unfortunately not, but it’s top of my list! When are you going? X

5. Em
    10/09/2017 / 7:58 am

It would be great if you could let us know how much these holidays cost as to most they are still unaffordable. I checked prices on destination2 for your hotel and it came out as £3600 without flights in March 2018 which is not the cheap holiday you make it out to be.

• 10/09/2017 / 6:52 pm

Hi Em! Of course. Prices change according to when you book but the prices I have listed here are what I paid. Try looking for deals on Black Friday! x

6. Nichola
    10/09/2017 / 11:49 am

Hi! Recently saw an article about you which appeared on my facebook wall, good timing as I’m hoping to go away in December (not sure where yet) Anyway, love what I read about you and would love more inspiring tips on how to save to go away and destination recommendations 😊 I love being spontaneous when I can as life’s too short, need to get out and explore! I took a trip to Australia January of this year, booked flight 2 days before and off I went! Only found a place to stay once I got to Melbourne airport! Stayed in hostels which are fine sine great in facet! but again could di with tips on maybe even nicer places?!?! Happy travels for now 🏝😊

• 10/09/2017 / 6:53 pm

Hi Nichola! This is amazing! Spontaneity is the way forward. I will be doing a post on top tips for saving and bagging deals on more luxury accomodation soon! x

• 10/09/2017 / 6:56 pm

7. Alex
    12/09/2017 / 9:30 pm

I am due to go to Velassaru in 3 weeks on my honeymoon and reading this has just made me even more excited! Your photos make it look stunning, I can’t wait to see it in real life. I just hope the weather is ok when we go as it’s technically “the rainy season” still!

• 13/09/2017 / 6:41 am

Hi Alex! I’m extremely jealous. It’s the best place I’ve ever been by far! I wouldn’t care if it rained the whole time 😉

8. Nicole
    21/10/2017 / 6:04 pm

Thank you so much for your posts on the Maldives. Currently looking into honeymoon destinations and your post has been extremely helpful in my search!!

• 23/10/2017 / 9:22 am

Hi Nicole. That’s amazing, I’m so glad it’s been helpful! Did you manage to book somewhere? Do send me an email if there’s anything else you’d like to know xx